1. Being electromagnetic waves, like light, X-rays travel in straight line with the speed of light. They also exhibit the phenomena of reflection, interference, diffraction and polarization under suitable conditions.
2. X-rays affect photographic plate.
3. X-rays are not deflected by electric or magnetic field.
4. It cause fluorescence in certain materials like barium platino cyanide.
5. X cause ionization of a gas.
6. It can penetrate thin and light materials but can not pass through heavy metals and bones.
7. X-rays can cause photoelectric effect.
8. Long exposure of X rays on human body can destroy cells and hence is injurious to health.